Subject: Re: bug#12008: Alphabetic sorting respect user's language and/or locale

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:34:59 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 04:57:14 -0400
> 
> >> So better would be to switch the locale to utf-8 and call strcoll
> >> without calling ENCODE_SYSTEM (tho of course, only if the strings
> >> are multibyte).
> > How will this be different from string< etc., that we already have?
> 
> I'd expect strcoll in a utf-8 locale to sort e é è ê and such
> close together.

Does the encoding really matter for strcoll?  That is, won't
de_DE.UTF-8 and de_DE.iso8859-1 produce the same collation order for
the same characters?

If the encoding doesn't matter, then why do you keep mentioning utf-8
locales in this context?  The request, as I understood it, was to be
able to sort arbitrary strings in the locale-dependent collating
order.