Subject: 24.1; fit-window-to-buffer does not grab whole frame

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:21:26 -0500

Start emacs -Q. Visit a file larger than the current frame.
Split the frame, Display other stuff in second window.
Select the window with the large file.
Eval

  (fit-window-to-buffer (selected-window))

Expected result: The window should grab the whole frame. From the
docstring of fit-window-to-buffer

  Optional argument MAX-HEIGHT specifies the maximum height of
  WINDOW and defaults to the height of WINDOW's frame.

Remarks: 
(1) This works as documented with GNU Emacs 23.1.
    -- Of course, the old behavior was counterintuitive in the sense
    that the name of fit-window-to-buffer refers to windows, not to
    frames. But an incompatible change in behavior should be
    documented.

(2) I suggest that the elisp manual should also mention the default
    values of MAX-HEIGHT and MIN-HEIGHT (as in the docstring).

(3) The relation between the new arg OVERRIDE (not present in Emacs
    23.1) and window-min-height and window-min-width is not clear to
    me. If MIN-HEIGHT is non-nil, shouldn't this already ignore
    window-min-height? Also, if OVERRIDE is nil, what is the
    relevance of window-min-width? I expect fit-window-to-buffer is
    supposed to obey window-min-width. But it would clarify things
    if this was spelled out.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2012-06-10 on regnitz
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10706000