Subject: bug#11985: closed (Re: bug#11985: 24.1; fit-window-to-buffer does not grab whole frame)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 12:57:14 +0000

Your bug report

#11985: 24.1; fit-window-to-buffer does not grab whole frame

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11985: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11985
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11985: 24.1; fit-window-to-buffer does not grab whole frame
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Roland Winkler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 14:56:25 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

 > In the meanwhile I learnt from Stefan (bug#11983) that it's probably
 > best for BBDB (and possibly other packages too) to get rid of all
 > the Electric-* stuff. So I have not much an opinion with respect to
 > fit-window-to-buffer, and there is yet less I could say about
 > enlarge-window.

OK.   Closing this bug.

martin

Subject: 24.1; fit-window-to-buffer does not grab whole frame
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:21:26 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Start emacs -Q. Visit a file larger than the current frame.
Split the frame, Display other stuff in second window.
Select the window with the large file.
Eval

  (fit-window-to-buffer (selected-window))

Expected result: The window should grab the whole frame. From the
docstring of fit-window-to-buffer

  Optional argument MAX-HEIGHT specifies the maximum height of
  WINDOW and defaults to the height of WINDOW's frame.

Remarks: 
(1) This works as documented with GNU Emacs 23.1.
    -- Of course, the old behavior was counterintuitive in the sense
    that the name of fit-window-to-buffer refers to windows, not to
    frames. But an incompatible change in behavior should be
    documented.

(2) I suggest that the elisp manual should also mention the default
    values of MAX-HEIGHT and MIN-HEIGHT (as in the docstring).

(3) The relation between the new arg OVERRIDE (not present in Emacs
    23.1) and window-min-height and window-min-width is not clear to
    me. If MIN-HEIGHT is non-nil, shouldn't this already ignore
    window-min-height? Also, if OVERRIDE is nil, what is the
    relevance of window-min-width? I expect fit-window-to-buffer is
    supposed to obey window-min-width. But it would clarify things
    if this was spelled out.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2012-06-10 on regnitz
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10706000