Subject: Re: bug#11985: 24.1; fit-window-to-buffer does not grab whole frame

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:32:26 -0500

On Thu Jul 19 2012 martin rudalics wrote:
>  From NEWS:
> 
> *** Window resizing functions.
> A new standard function for resizing windows called `window-resize' has
> been introduced.  This and all other functions for resizing windows no
> longer delete any windows when they become too small.

This is a bit buried if one simply searches for fit-window-to-buffere.

> I'll look into this.  If you have any ideas what this function should
> _do_ better, please tell me.

I got into this when I discovered that with Emacs 24.1
Electric-pop-up-window does not behave anymore as expected. It uses
fit-window-to-buffer for possibly grabbing the whole frame. In the
context of what Electric-pop-up-window wants to achieve this is a
reasonable and documented behavior.
Possibly there is more code that relies on the old behavior.

But I agree that it is probably cleaner if functions such as
Electric-pop-up-window implement this old aspect of
fit-window-to-buffer in some other way.