Subject: bug#11975: 23.4; ediff-revision mix up Repository with Working revision (CVS)

From: Christian Brolin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:21:05 +0200

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list
and the gnu.emacs.bug news group, and at http://debbugs.gnu.org.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

When comparing local modifications with ediff-revision and the CVS Working
revison is older than the Repository revision, ediff-revision (with
default arguments) compares the current buffer with the Repository
revison but names that buffer with the Working revision.

In my case I checked out DynamicPage r1.27 and modified it
locally. Another one check in changes to the same file so now the
Repository revision is 1.28:

> cvs stat DynamicPage.cc
===================================================================
File: DynamicPage.cc    Status: Needs Merge

   Working revision:    1.27    Wed Jun 27 06:32:36 2012
   Repository revision: 1.28    [...]/DynamicPage.cc,v
   Sticky Tag:          (none)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)

The reference buffer is called DynamicPage.cc.~1.27~ but its contents
are exactly what are in r1.28! It is confusing. I want ediff-revision to
show only my local changes by default.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/users/brolin/inst/emacs-23.4/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.9)
 of 2012-05-21 on arawa
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70101000
configured using `configure  '--with-gif=no' '--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: C++/l

Minor modes in effect:
  global-ede-mode: t
  ede-minor-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <f11> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<f11> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <f11> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <f11> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <f11> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<f11> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> 
<double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> 
<double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-4> 
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> 
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <f11> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> p <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <f11> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<f11> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <f11> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<f11> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<S-f11> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <S-f11> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <S-f11> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> n <switch-frame> <switch-frame> n <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> M-x <up> <return> C-g <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> M-x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Computing differences between DynamicPage.cc.~1.27~ and DynamicPage.cc ...
Buffer A: Processing difference region 0 of 5
Buffer B: Processing difference region 0 of 5
Processing difference regions ... done
Region 1 in buffer A is empty [2 times]
Refining difference region 2 ...
Refining difference region 3 ...
Region 4 in buffer A is empty [2 times]
Quit
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:

-- 
Christian Brolin   Email : [email-masked]
CARMEN SYSTEMS AB  Phone +46 31-720 81 61
Odinsgatan 9       Fax   +46 31-720 81 20
S-411 03 Gothenburg, Sweden