Subject: bug#11969: closed (Re: bug#11969: 24.1.50; crash on Windows)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:09:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11969: 24.1.50; crash on Windows

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11969: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11969
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11969: 24.1.50; crash on Windows
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:02:16 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:28:27 -0700
> 
> This is the backtrace.  The session no longer exists.  HTH.  If not,
> feel free to close the bug.

Closed.

This is another one in the series of assertion violations that happen
only in your configuration.  The problem is this:

> #2  0x01041c65 in die (
>     msg=0x15ab394 "assertion failed: EQ (XFRAME (selected_frame)->selected_window, selected_window)", file=0x15a25b8 "xdisp.c", line=13446) at alloc.c:6639

IOW, the selected window of the selected frame is not the window
stored in the variable selected_window, which is what redisplay
expects.

My guess is that this is somehow related to your massive use of pop-up
frames.  Something happens there that causes this mismatch.  But what
exactly is a problem is hard to say without knowing at least the
values of the two windows involved in the test.  Are both of them
windows, or is one of them nil or something like that?  If the former,
which window is each one of them, and how are they related to whatever
you were doing at the moment of the crash?  Etc. et. -- you _must_
understand that unless you help us dig into this mystery, this bug
will probably _never_ be fixed.  And since you need guidance to use
the debugger on the C level, the only way of digging is if you leave
the crashed session running under the debugger and let us ask you for
information.

It's your call.

Subject: 24.1.50; crash on Windows
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:28:27 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is the backtrace.  The session no longer exists.  HTH.  If not,
feel free to close the bug.
 
$ ./gdb -p 1060
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.2
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "mingw32".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Attaching to process 1060
[New Thread 1060.0xed8]
[New Thread 1060.0x170c]
[New Thread 1060.0x11bc]
Reading symbols from C:\Emacs-24-2012-07-16\bin\emacs.exe...done.
[Switching to Thread 1060.0x11bc]
Warning: c:\drews-lisp-20\bin/../lwlib: No such file or directory.
SIGINT is used by the debugger.
Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from
terminal]
Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
TERM = cygwin
.gdbinit:1328: Error in sourced command file:
No symbol "Vsystem_type" in current context.
(gdb) c
Continuing.
 
Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
[Switching to Thread 1060.0xed8]
0x7c90120f in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
(gdb) bt
#0  0x7c90120f in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
#1  0x0114f7a8 in w32_abort () at w32fns.c:7184
#2  0x01041c65 in die (
    msg=0x15ab394 "assertion failed: EQ (XFRAME
(selected_frame)->selected_window, selecte
d_window)", file=0x15a25b8 "xdisp.c", line=13446) at alloc.c:6639
#3  0x011fd293 in redisplay_internal () at xdisp.c:13446
#4  0x011f9e89 in redisplay () at xdisp.c:12606
#5  0x01008d4f in read_char (commandflag=1, nmaps=4, maps=0x83f9b0,
    prev_event=56068122, used_mouse_menu=0x83fa88, end_time=0x0) at
keyboard.c:2447
#6  0x0101c7d2 in read_key_sequence (keybuf=0x83fc04, bufsize=30,
prompt=56068122,
    dont_downcase_last=0, can_return_switch_frame=1, fix_current_buffer=1)
    at keyboard.c:9311
#7  0x01005ef6 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1446
#8  0x010321f0 in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x10058fe <command_loop_1>,
    handlers=56118730, hfun=0x10050fa <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1332
#9  0x01005537 in command_loop_2 (ignore=56068122) at keyboard.c:1152
#10 0x01031c11 in internal_catch (tag=56108562, func=0x1005513 <command_loop_2>,
    arg=56068122) at eval.c:1089
#11 0x010054f3 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1131
#12 0x01004acf in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:752
#13 0x01004dea in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:816
#14 0x01002944 in main (argc=3, argv=0x33c30) at emacs.c:1677
(gdb) frame 2
#2  0x01041c65 in die (
    msg=0x15ab394 "assertion failed: EQ (XFRAME
(selected_frame)->selected_window, selecte
d_window)", file=0x15a25b8 "xdisp.c", line=13446) at alloc.c:6639
6639    alloc.c: No such file or directory.
        in alloc.c
(gdb) p selected_window
$1 = 78256133
(gdb) xtype
No symbol "gdb_use_union" in current context.
(gdb) gdb_use_union
Undefined command: "gdb_use_union".  Try "help".
(gdb) p selected_frame
$2 = 64566853
(gdb) xtype
No symbol "gdb_use_union" in current context.
(gdb)

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-07-16 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 109106 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'