Subject: 24.1.50; tramp bug - grep from helm have an empty buffer when used on a remote machine.

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 06:18:36 +0200

Hi,
when I use helm-*-grep from helm-find-files, I lose the output of the
command immidiately after it came in its buffer.

If I load the tramp files from emacs-24.1 all work fine again.
So it is not reproducible from emacs-24.1.

To reproduce:

1) get the helm files here: https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm
2) install helm (See README)
3) run helm-find-files and navigate to a remote machine with scpc or ssh
   method.
4) Launch grep on a file (from menu action <TAB> or hit <M-G-S>)
5) enter something in prompt.
   You should see the output for 0.1 =~ second and then lost it.

Now disconnect from this tramp session, load the tramp 24.1 files.
The same operation should now works fine.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-07-14 on thierry-MM061
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-x-toolkit=lucid' '--without-rsvg' '--without-gconf'
 '--with-wide-int''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-battery-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-dired-mode: Enable helm completion in Dired functions.
Bindings affected are C, R, S, H.
This is deprecated for Emacs24+ users, use `helm-mode' instead.
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f / s c p c <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
s h : <right> <right> . e m s d <down> <down> e c l 
<down> <down> <down> M-g s d e f u n C-g C-x C-f / 
s c p c : <right> <right> C-g M-x t o g g <return> 
C-x C-f / s c p c <backspace> c : <right> <right> . 
e m s d e c l <down> <down> <down> M-g s d e f u n 
C-g M-x s w <backspace> <backspace> h e l m SPC l o 
g <return> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-s g r e p <right> 
<down> <right> <down> <right> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> <C-down> 
<C-down> <C-down> <left> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <up> <down> C-x b <return> M-x r e p 
o r t <return>

Recent messages:
Restoring buffers...92%
OVERVIEW
Restoring buffers...93%
OVERVIEW
Restoring buffers...95%
OVERVIEW
Restoring buffers...done
 [7 times]
Debug on Error enabled globally
 [6 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/emacs-config-laptop/.gnus hides ~/.emacs.d/.gnus
~/elisp/emacs-helm-extensions/helm-descbinds hides ~/elisp/emacs-helm/helm-descbinds
~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath hides ~/elisp/auctex/lpath
~/elisp/magit/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow gnus-dired nnir mail-extr gnus-msg emacsbug helm-command
tramp-sh tramp-cache tabify org-table xhg-dvc vc-git xgit-dvc xgit
xgit-annotate dvc-annotate xgit-log dvc-revlist vc-rcs sh-script smie
executable bzr-core xdarcs-core xgit-core xmtn-minimal naquadah-theme
em-unix em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs
em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt
esh-ext esh-proc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode align-let server
battery winner undo-tree diff slime-xref-browser slime-banner
slime-tramp slime-asdf slime-fancy slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-scratch slime-presentations slime-fuzzy
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-parse slime-repl image-file newsticker newst-treeview tree-widget
newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker newst-backend xdvi-search
preview-latex pcomplete-extension em-term term ehelp electric
helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval python rx whitespace paren time
mime-w3m mime eword-decode mel path-util mime-parse std11 luna mime-def
alist mcharset mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces pces-e20 pces-20 broken pcustom poe
pym static apel-ver product w3m-load avoid savehist gnus-async nntp
smtpmail-async smtpmail sendmail helm-async markdown-mode
org-google-weather google-weather url-cache googlecl google-maps
google-maps-static google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json
simple-call-tree el-expectations el-mock csv2org iedit rect zop-to-char
smallurl mm-url rectangle-utils tv-utils async pcvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info
pcvs-defs mb-depth ioccur cl-info slime hyperspec slime-autoloads
ledger-config ledger esh-arg esh-util tex-site auto-loads esh-toggle
flymake eldoc-eval eldoc no-word regex-tool dired-extension
emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat dvc-init bzr-gnus
tla-gnus xgit-gnus xhg-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
dvc-gnus tla-core tla-autoconf tla-defs dvc-log vc vc-dispatcher
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff dvc-autoloads magit-stgit magit-bisect magit-key-mode
magit log-edit pcvs-util add-log htmlize-hack htmlize muse-colors
muse-docbook muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo muse-latex muse-html
muse-xml-common muse-wiki cus-edit cus-start cus-load muse-publish
muse-project muse-protocols muse-regexps muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode
muse-autoloads org-config-thierry ob-sh org-crypt cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs vc-hg
org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo
org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks find-func org-info
org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-agenda appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-annotation-helper org-capture org-mks
remember org-remember org-datetree config-w3m w3m doc-view jka-compr
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util addressbook-bookmark message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
firefox-protocol bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions org
ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat
org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
bookmark pp init-helm-thierry helm-mode helm-ls-git helm-files
image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete
format-spec dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap helm-plugin helm-help
helm-match-plugin helm-grep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils
compile comint ansi-color ring helm-descbinds helm-delicious xml
helm-mercurial xhg xhg-annotate xhg-mq xhg-log xhg-core dvc-diff
uniquify dvc-fileinfo dvc-unified dvc-tips diff-mode dvc-core dvc-lisp
dvc-buffers dvc-ui dvc-register dvc-utils dvc-emacs ewoc dvc-defs
dvc-site dired-x cl-macs gv dired helm-locate helm warnings helm-config
edmacro kmacro epa-file epa derived epg epg-config auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util time-date mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache usage-memo eev-thierry iterator eev-all
eev-mini-steps eev-browse-url eev-langs eev-compose eev-glyphs
disp-table eev-insert eev-steps eev-bounded eev easy-mmode advice
help-fns advice-preload cl cl-lib macroexp w3m-wget info easymenu
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997