Subject: bug#11947: 24.1.50; tramp bug - grep from helm have an empty buffer when used on a remote machine.

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:27:10 +0200

Hi,

finally, it is a helm error. In `helm-c-grep-init',
`start-file-process-shell-command' is called with a nil buffer. This
means, that no buffer is associated with the corresponding process; it
did work only by unintended side effect. The following patch solves it:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
ubu1004:~/src/helm> git diff helm-grep.el
diff --git a/helm-grep.el b/helm-grep.el
index 34f4e14..ff6ff09 100644
--- a/helm-grep.el
+++ b/helm-grep.el
@@ -209,7 +209,7 @@ See `helm-c-grep-default-command' for format specs.")
         (insert (concat ">>> " cmd-line "\n\n"))))
     (prog1 ; Start grep process.
         (let ((default-directory helm-ff-default-directory))
-          (start-file-process-shell-command "grep-process" nil cmd-line))
+          (start-file-process-shell-command "grep-process" (current-buffer) cmd-line))
       (helm-log "Start Grep process")
       (setq mode-line-format
           '(" " mode-line-buffer-identification " "
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best regards, Michael.