Subject: ambiguous "stty --help" text

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:53:14 +0200

Hi coreutils maintainers,

"stty --help" produces the output

   [-]parodd     set odd parity (even with `-')

When looking at the code and "man termios", which says:

       PARODD If set, then parity for input and output is odd; otherwise
              even parity is used.

it is clear that option '-parodd' means the opposite of option 'parodd'.
But the German translator misunderstood this line twice (even after being
pointed to the fact that it's ambiguous), as if it was

   [-]parodd     set odd parity (believe it or not, also with `-')

Can this ambiguity please be fixed at the root, in the English source
code? Here is a proposed patch (apply with "patch -p0"):

2012-07-13  Bruno Haible  <[email-masked]>

	stty: Clarify meaning of '-parodd'.
	* src/stty.c (usage): Disambiguate explanation of -parodd.
	Reported by Michael Stummvoll <[email-masked]>.

--- src/stty.c.orig	Fri Jul 13 15:44:17 2012
+++ src/stty.c	Fri Jul 13 15:40:47 2012
@@ -583,7 +583,7 @@
    [-]hup        send a hangup signal when the last process closes the tty\n\
    [-]hupcl      same as [-]hup\n\
    [-]parenb     generate parity bit in output and expect parity bit in input\n\
-   [-]parodd     set odd parity (even with '-')\n\
+   [-]parodd     set odd parity (or even parity with '-')\n\
 "), stdout);
       fputs (_("\
 \n\