Subject: Re: bug#11915: libraries that don't provide a feature or the wrong one

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:33:00 -0400

> * in the emacs-24 branch:
> bug-reference.el and map-ynp.el do not provide a feature.

Looks like a bug in bug-reference.el.
For map-ynp.el, I think it's normal because that file is preloaded.

> misearch.el provides `multi-isearch' instead of `misearch'.

That should be fixed, and is probably a left-over from adapting the
filename to 8+3 limitations.

> userlock.el, patcomp.el, forms-d2.el and forms-pass.el also
> don't provide a feature but it seems this intentional.

userlock should arguably be preloaded.  patcomp.el is obsolete and not
worth fixing, and the other two indeed aren't really Lisp packages so
don't need a `provide'.

> However I think they then should not appear in `packages-builtins'.

You might be right (at least the etc/forms/*.el files shouldn't be
there), tho I'm not sure how important this is.

> * in the elpa branch:
> markchars.el does not provide a feature.

That's an oversight, yes, thank you,

        Stefan