Subject: bug#11899: 24.1.50; Weird names and unhelpful docstrings for some python function

From: Ivan Andrus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:33:19 +0200

The functions

  python-nav-sentence-start
  python-nav-sentence-end
  python-nav-forward-sentence
  python-nav-backward-sentence

have weird names in the sense that they don't move by sentences.  In
fact the concept of a sentence in python doesn't even make sense.  I
have no problem with them being bound to forward-sentence and
backward-sentence--in fact I do similar things in other modes, but at
least the docstrings (if not the names) should explain that they move by
statements instead of sentences (if that is in fact what they do).

Perhaps they should also be aliased to

  python-beginning-of-statement
  python-end-of-statement

if the semantics match, since those functions are now gone.

-Ivan

P.S. Is this the right place to file a bug against the new
python.el, or should I file it on github?

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
of 2012-07-10 on oroszlan.local
Bzr revision: 108995 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
`configure '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: SAGE

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  highlight-symbol-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  msb-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  yas/minor-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-visible-mark-mode: t
  visible-mark-mode: t
  gvol-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  drag-stuff-global-mode: t
  drag-stuff-mode: t
  command-frequency-autosave-mode: t
  command-frequency-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-c C-f C-x C-f p y r e <return> SPC C-t C-c C-f C-;
C-c C-f <C-tab> q TAB <C-tab> TAB TAB TAB TAB TAB TAB
C-1 M-( TAB C-y C-M-SPC C-M-j C-1 M-( C-l w h e n SPC
, , n o t SPC , , f b o u n d p C-o C-M-u <return>
C-o C-M-l C-M-j C-M-k C-/ TAB C-e C-e C-\ ' C-y C-k
TAB C-l C-x C-e C-l C-x C-e C-M-SPC C-M-l <tab> C-e
<return> C-x C-e C-M-j TAB TAB TAB C-e C-M-j <return>
TAB <C-S-backspace> C-k <C-S-backspace> <up> <M-down>
<M-down> <M-down> <M-down> <M-down> <M-down> <M-down>
<M-down> <M-down> <M-down> <tab> C-k C-d C-e C-SPC
<down> <tab> <down> <down> <tab> <up> <up> <up> <up>
TAB TAB C-x C-s C-k C-k <C-f3> C-a C-M-k , , w h e
n SPC , , n o t SPC , , f b o u n d p SPC ' C-y C-M-o
C-M-o <return> , , d e f u n SPC C-y SPC , , C-M-o
<return> C-M-o <return> <down> <f3> <f3> <f3> <f3>
<f3> C-x C-s C-h f p y t h <tab> n a <tab> <tab> s
e <tab> s t <tab> <return> <C-tab> <down> <right> <return>
<C-tab> <C-tab> <C-tab> C-k C-k C-M-k C-h f C-g M-w
C-x b l i b g a p . C-g C-x C-f <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <return> l i b C-s <return> C-k C-k C-k
C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k
C-k C-k C-k M-x p y t h <tab> - m <backspace> n a <tab>
f o <return> M-x <return> M-x <return> M-x <return>
M-x <return> M-x <return> M-x <return> M-x <return>
M-x <return> M-x <return> M-x e m C-g M-x e m a c s
b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) [3 times]
/Users/gvol/.emacs-uptimes
byte-code: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Help*>
Quit
QuitError during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) [63 times]
eval: QuitError during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) [3 times]
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) [11 times]

Load-path shadows:
/Users/gvol/.emacs.d/elpa/parenface-20091203/parenface hides ~/.emacs.d/local/parenface
/Users/gvol/.emacs.d/elpa/hl-sexp-1.0.0/hl-sexp hides ~/.emacs.d/local/hl-sexp
/Users/gvol/.emacs.d/elpa/python-mode-6.0.3/highlight-indentation hides ~/.emacs.d/local/highlight-indentation
/Users/gvol/.emacs.d/elpa/command-frequency-1.1/command-frequency hides ~/.emacs.d/local/command-frequency
/Users/gvol/vcs/sage-mode/emacs/.dir-locals hides /Users/gvol/vcs/emacs/local/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
~/.emacs.d/local/lisp-mnt hides /Users/gvol/vcs/emacs/local/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mnt

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils esh-var esh-io esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util
hippie-exp lisp-mnt checkdoc elint debug pyrex multi-isearch ffap
url-parse url-vars dabbrev smerge-mode diff-mode sage-view parse-time
vc-cvs sgml-mode preview prv-emacs adaptive-wrap tex-fold reftex-vcr
reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex reftex-vars tex-bar tex-buf toolbar-x
font-latex latex tex-style sage-auctex tex subword sage-mode hideshow
python org-colview vc-svn compile sh-script smie executable tabify
cal-iso org-mobile reveal org-habit org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail
org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp
org-exp-blocks find-func org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-archive org-id org-crypt ob-python org
ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat
org-entities org-macs noutline outline gvol-light-theme elide-head
vc-bzr vc-hg eldoc highlight-parentheses greedy-delete highlight-symbol
hi-lock thingatpt time jka-compr saveplace uniquify which-func imenu
paren recentf tree-widget wid-edit msb mb-depth icomplete hl-line delsel
image-file cus-start cus-load diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs warnings autoinsert yasnippet dropdown-list derived cl-macs
gv help-mode view tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete comint ansi-color format-spec smex ido
visible-mark parenface fold cl cl-lib macroexp commit-patch-buffer
log-edit ring pcvs-util add-log vc ediff vc-dispatcher sage rx sage-load
xml desktop drag-stuff browse-kill-ring backtr command-frequency uptimes
pp server easy-mmode assoc dired+ edmacro kmacro dired-x ediff-merg
ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util
dired-aux dired windmove ac-slime-autoloads adaptive-wrap-autoloads
applescript-mode-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site info easymenu
browse-kill-ring-autoloads buffer-move-autoloads c-eldoc-autoloads
columnify-autoloads command-frequency-autoloads company-autoloads
drag-stuff-autoloads durendal-autoloads emstar-autoloads
feature-mode-autoloads goto-last-change-autoloads
graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads highlight-parentheses-autoloads
highlight-symbol-autoloads hl-sexp-autoloads keyfreq-autoloads
finder-inf markdown-mode+-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
paredit-autoloads parenface-autoloads python-mode-autoloads
redo+-autoloads rw-hunspell-autoloads scpaste-autoloads
htmlize-autoloads scss-mode-autoloads slime-clj-autoloads
slime-fuzzy-autoloads slime-ritz-autoloads smex-autoloads
speck-autoloads swank-clojure-autoloads advice help-fns advice-preload
clojure-mode-autoloads slime-repl-autoloads slime-autoloads
xml-rpc-autoloads package time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)