Subject: Further info...

From: Oleksandr Gavenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 00:36:33 +0300

After learning about fonts in Emacs I found that wrong in my setup. I write
about this at:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/85735

where I originally ask question.

So main problem - I don't know how debug issue, so anything happen look
magical to me.

Now I discover such tools:

  $ xfontsel -sampleUCS 'əθʃçʧ  θʒtð Hello Привет!'
  $ gucharmap

With this tools I look for fonts that support all range of needed by me chars.

As I learn there are 4 different char types involved: ASCII, Greek, Cyrillic
and IPA.

Fonts in my previous report have holes or look wrongly for certain chars.

After setting at Emacs boot time in ~/.Xdefaults:

  emacs.font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1

or in running Emacs instance:

  (set-frame-font "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1")
  (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'latin
                    "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1")
  (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'phonetic
                    "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1")
  (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'cyrillic
                    "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1")
  (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'greek
                    "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1")

I get monospaced and **SAME** font for desired range of chars!

Also this command also help me:

  (pp (char-table-extra-slot char-script-table 0))

I think bug can be closed. Except part that Emacs algorithm for selecting font for
missing chars is too dumb and give ugly results (one example is C code with
comments on Russian - with different font for EN/RU text I lost indenting).

Thanks to Juri Linkov for assistant!

-- 
Best regards!