Subject: 24.1.50; shell-mode doesn't colorize the prompt

From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 22:29:35 -0700

When using shell mode (M-x shell), I'm seeing correct colors rendered
for output of commands like 'ls --color=auto'. However this doesn't
appear to apply to the prompt, all of which appears in one, wrong
color. This appears to be related to the prompt not emitting a trailing
newline (which is as it should be).

As a test, I can echo the ANSI codes myself. This produces a
correctly-colored red string:

dima@shorty:~$ echo -e "\033[31mtest\033[39m"
test <----- red

But this doesn't. Note it's the same command but without a trailing
newline:

dima@shorty:~$ echo -n -e "\033[31mtest\033[39m"
testdima@shorty:~$ <------ whole thing is blue

So the prompt emits the correct codes (verified with strace), but since
it has no trailing newline, it is rendered wrong, just like the "test"
string above. This is something that worked in emacs23.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2012-06-29 on zelenka, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 2:20120629-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11201902
Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--host' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--without-compress-info' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/'
 '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-imagemagick=yes'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g
 -Wl,--as-needed -znocombreloc' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x s h e l l <return> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-2> C-x 
C-x C-w C-y <home> <return> <C-up> <home> <C-right> 
SPC - n <return> <return> M-x r e p o r t <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set [2 times]
History item: 1

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/cscope/xcscope hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/xcscope
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/easypg/epg hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/epg
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/easypg/epa-dired hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/epa-dired
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/easypg/epg-config hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/epg-config
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/easypg/epa hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/epa
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/easypg/epa-file hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/epa-file
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/easypg/epa-mail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/epa-mail
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-list hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-list
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-screen
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-protocol hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-protocol
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-footnote hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-footnote
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-docview hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-docview
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-pcomplete hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-sh hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-sh
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-irc
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-maxima hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mac-message hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-bibtex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-asymptote hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-bbdb hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-lilypond hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-exp-blocks hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-src hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-src
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-w3m hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-w3m
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-css hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-css
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-ledger hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-wl hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-wl
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mew hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-mew
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mks hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-mks
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-python hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-python
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-shen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-shen
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-tangle hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-eval hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-eval
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-rmail
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-habit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-habit
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-exp
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-mscgen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-gnus
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-plantuml hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-ascii hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-ascii
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-octave hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-octave
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-entities hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-entities
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-dot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-dot
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-latex
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-java hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-java
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-indent
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-table hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-table
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-eshell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-eshell
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-org
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-exp
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-keys hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-keys
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-install hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-install
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-ref hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-ref
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-id hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-id
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-sass hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-sass
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-picolisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-sqlite hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-xoxo hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-calc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-calc
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-mhe
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-docbook hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-docbook
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-mouse
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-html hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-html
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-ditaa hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-ocaml hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-jsinfo hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-odt hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-odt
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-macs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-macs
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-freemind hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-freemind
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-archive
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-latex
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-crypt hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-crypt
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-clojure hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-lparse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-lparse
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-colview hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-colview
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-taskjuggler hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-taskjuggler
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-matlab hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-faces hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-faces
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-table hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-table
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-capture hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-capture
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-js hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-js
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mobile hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-mobile
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-agenda hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-agenda
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-sql hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-sql
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-special-blocks hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-special-blocks
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-beamer hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-beamer
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-fortran hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-timer hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-timer
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-perl hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-perl
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-R hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-R
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-ctags hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-ctags
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-ruby hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-compat
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-feed hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-feed
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-publish hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-publish
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-remember hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-remember
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-C hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-C
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-vm hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-vm
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-datetree hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-datetree
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-awk hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-awk
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-plot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-plot
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-scheme hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-attach hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-attach
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-lob hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-lob
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/ob-comint hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/ob-comint
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-inlinetask hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-clock hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-clock
/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/org-info hides /usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/org/org-info

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)