Subject: Re: bug#1187: 23.0.60; Cannot read vline.el - invalid read syntax

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:00:08 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "'Lawrence Mitchell'" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:18:06 -0700
> 
> > However there might be a misunderstanding. There is no error while
> > reading vline.el. The error comes when I do eval-buffer.
> 
> Yes, the problem arises when I load (so, eval) the library. But Lawrence and Eli
> both mentioned loading also.

No, I said visiting with "C-x C-f".  And your original report said:

  Library vline.el can be read fine in Emacs 22, but Emacs 23 raises an
  error, saying Invalid read syntax: "?".

It said nothing about evaluating it.

Anyway, does the problem go away if you visit the file with

  "C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f vline.el RET"

before evaluating it?

If this does the trick, then please talk to the author and ask him to
include an explicit coding: cookie in the file.