Subject: bug#11869: 24.1; `Info-index' and `Info-complete-menu-item'

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 11:02:45 -0700

Not necessarily a bug.  But a question.
 
IIUC:
 
`Info-index' uses `Info-complete-menu-item' for its completion table
(function).  But first it (a) goes to the first index node (using
`Info-goto-index') and (b) binds `Info-complete-nodes' to
(Info-index-nodes).
 
But `Info-complete-menu-item' does not use ONLY the nodes in
`Info-complete-nodes'.  It uses also the nodes in the current (visited)
node, which in this case is the first index node.
 
So that means that `Info-complete-menu-item' uses the first index node
twice: once because it is the currently visited node and a second time
because it is the first node in (Info-index-nodes).
 
That means extra processing (searches, which can be costly) for nothing.
 
Unless I'm missing something, this is a bug and should be fixed, so
`Info-complete-menu-item' does not search for matches throughout the
same (perhaps long) index twice.  If I'm wrong, please let me know what
I'm missing.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-06-10 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'