Subject: Re: bug#11867: 24.1.50; Windows bootstrap crash (converting tit files?)

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 22:54:22 +0200

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sorry, I don't understand: how did you know to attach the debugger
> exactly when Emacs crashed or was about to crash?  Just attaching a
> debugger stops Emacs wherever it was, which could be anywhere (judging
> by the backtrace, it was in some system call, waiting for some other
> syscall to finish).  That place is random, normally having nothing to
> do with the crash.
[...]
> But you said that Emacs crashes while byte-compiling japanese.el.
> When it did crash, did you see the abort dialog, or did you see
> something else?

During the bootstrap, while Emacs is byte-compiling files, it crashes.
I know that because:

1) I get a message from Windows (not the usual w32_abort dialog)
telling me that Emacs has crashed and asking whether I want to send a
report to Microsoft.
2) Bootstrapping stops until I dismiss that message.

At that point, until I tell Windows to dismiss the report sending, I
have all the time in the world to get the id of the only Emacs running
and attach gdb to it.

Additionally,
3) I know that it is in japanese.el, because it happens while
bytecompiling lisp/language/*, and japanese.el is the only missing
.elc afterwards.

I get the crash in all bootstraps, so if you want me to try something, just ask.

    Juanma