Subject: Re: bug#11867: 24.1.50; Windows bootstrap crash (converting tit files?)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:42:02 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 19:21:34 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > OK.  And how did you attach the debugger?  Or did you run Emacs under
> > the debugger to begin with?
> 
> No. It crashes during the bootstrap (it was a debug bootstrap, with
> --no-opt and --enable-checking, etc), so I did
> 
>   tasklist emacs     ; to get the ID of the only Emacs running
>   cd src
>   gdb -p EMACS-ID
> 

Sorry, I don't understand: how did you know to attach the debugger
exactly when Emacs crashed or was about to crash?  Just attaching a
debugger stops Emacs wherever it was, which could be anywhere (judging
by the backtrace, it was in some system call, waiting for some other
syscall to finish).  That place is random, normally having nothing to
do with the crash.

> Emacs is not crashing on w32_abort(), and I don't get a dialog asking
> to attach a debugger.

But you said that Emacs crashes while byte-compiling japanese.el.
When it did crash, did you see the abort dialog, or did you see
something else?