Subject: [PATCH 8/9 v2] doc/lispref/intro.texi: More precise language for what a variable is

From: Michael Witten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 22:55:46 -0000

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 17:50:43 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     +  A @dfn{variable} is a name that can be bound to an object; binding
>     +is frequently referred to as `setting', and the object to which
>     +a variable is `set' is often called a `value' that the variable
>     +`holds'.
>
> This change might be ok, but please use @dfn around the terms that are
> introduced, rather than single quotes.  @dfn exists precisely for
> this.

The following is an updated patch; save this email and apply it with:

  git am -c "$path_to_saved_email"

--8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<---------

The terms `set' and `bind', `object' and `value', and `hold' are used
somewhat freely; this commit introduces more pedantic language (while
still mentioning the others).
---
 doc/lispref/intro.texi | 13 ++++++++-----
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/intro.texi b/doc/lispref/intro.texi
index 5ca4d37..da4cd80 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/intro.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/intro.texi
@@ -446,11 +446,14 @@ from @var{body}, which includes all remaining elements of the form.
 @cindex variable descriptions
 @cindex option descriptions
 
-  A @dfn{variable} is a name that can hold a value.  Although nearly
-all variables can be set by the user, certain variables exist
-specifically so that users can change them; these are called @dfn{user
-options}.  Ordinary variables and user options are described using a
-format like that for functions except that there are no arguments.
+  A @dfn{variable} is a name that can be bound to an object; binding
+is frequently referred to as @dfn{setting}, and the object to which
+a variable is set is often called a @dfn{value} that the variable
+@dfn{holds}.  Although nearly all variables can be set by the user,
+certain variables exist specifically so that users can change them;
+these are called @dfn{user options}.  Ordinary variables and user
+options are described using a format like that for functions, except
+that there are no arguments.
 
   Here is a description of the imaginary @code{electric-future-map}
 variable.@refill
-- 
1.7.11.1.29.gf71be5c