Subject: bug#11862: [PATCH 4/9] doc/lispref/intro.texi: More precise language

From: Michael Witten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 20:15:48 -0000

When a type is specified in the description of a function's argument, it
is the object to which that argument is bound (rather than the argument
itself) that is expected to be of that type; this is a bit pedantic,
but, hey! This is a reference manual.

(The paragraph should be re-filled by a future commit.)
---
 doc/lispref/intro.texi | 6 ++++--
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/intro.texi b/doc/lispref/intro.texi
index 4f0f8cd..50e6712 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/intro.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/intro.texi
@@ -380,9 +380,11 @@ More generally,
 @end defun
 
   Any argument whose name contains the name of a type (e.g.,
-@var{integer}, @var{integer1} or @var{buffer}) is expected to be of that
+@var{integer}, @var{integer1} or @var{buffer}) is expected to be
+bound to an object of that
 type.  A plural of a type (such as @var{buffers}) often means a list of
-objects of that type.  Arguments named @var{object} may be of any type.
+objects of that type.  An argument named with the type @var{object} may be
+bound to an object of any type.
 (@xref{Lisp Data Types}, for a list of Emacs object types.)  Arguments
 with other sorts of names (e.g., @var{new-file}) are discussed
 specifically in the description of the function.  In some sections,
-- 
1.7.11.1.29.gf71be5c