Subject: bug#11862: [PATCH 8/9] doc/lispref/intro.texi: More precise language for

From: Michael Witten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 20:15:59 -0000

The terms `set' and `bind', `object' and `value', and `hold' are used
somewhat freely; a previous commit already prefers `bind' and `object',
so this commit refines the text for the definition of a variable to
prefer those too (while still mentioning the others).
---
 doc/lispref/intro.texi | 13 ++++++++-----
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/intro.texi b/doc/lispref/intro.texi
index f749401..a68e7a9 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/intro.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/intro.texi
@@ -446,11 +446,14 @@ from @var{body}, which includes all remaining elements of the form.
 @cindex variable descriptions
 @cindex option descriptions
 
-  A @dfn{variable} is a name that can hold a value.  Although nearly
-all variables can be set by the user, certain variables exist
-specifically so that users can change them; these are called @dfn{user
-options}.  Ordinary variables and user options are described using a
-format like that for functions except that there are no arguments.
+  A @dfn{variable} is a name that can be bound to an object; binding
+is frequently referred to as `setting', and the object to which
+a variable is `set' is often called a `value' that the variable
+`holds'.  Although nearly all variables can be set by the user,
+certain variables exist specifically so that users can change them;
+these are called @dfn{user options}.  Ordinary variables and user
+options are described using a format like that for functions, except
+that there are no arguments.
 
   Here is a description of the imaginary @code{electric-future-map}
 variable.@refill
-- 
1.7.11.1.29.gf71be5c