Subject: bug#11862: [PATCH 8b/2] doc/lispref/intro.texi: Reduce and reorganize node `A sample Variable Description'

From: Michael Witten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 20:18:15 -0000

The description of `variable' is removed; such a descriptin is better
placed in the node `Variables'.

Moreover, this change is consistent with the text of the sibling node,
`A Sample Function Description', which does not give such a description
for a function, instead leaving that complex topic to more appropriate
nodes (such as node `Functions').

The term `user options' is moved to the bottom of the node.
---
 doc/lispref/intro.texi | 17 +++++++----------
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/intro.texi b/doc/lispref/intro.texi
index 0766a23..b62bceb 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/intro.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/intro.texi
@@ -447,14 +447,9 @@ from @var{body}, which includes all remaining elements of the form.
 @cindex variable descriptions
 @cindex option descriptions
 
-  A @dfn{variable} is a name that can hold a value.  Although nearly
-all variables can be set by the user, certain variables exist
-specifically so that users can change them; these are called @dfn{user
-options}.  Ordinary variables and user options are described using a
-format like that for functions except that there are no arguments.
-
-  Here is a description of the imaginary @code{electric-future-map}
-variable.@refill
+Variables are described using a format like that for functions, except
+that there are no arguments.  Here is a description of the imaginary
+@code{electric-future-map} variable.@refill
 
 @defvar electric-future-map
 The value of this variable is a full keymap used by Electric Command
@@ -462,8 +457,10 @@ Future mode.  The functions in this map allow you to edit commands you
 have not yet thought about executing.
 @end defvar
 
-  User option descriptions have the same format, but `Variable' is
-replaced by `User Option'.
+Although nearly all variables can be set by the user, certain variables
+exist specifically so that users can change them; these are called
+@dfn{user options}.  User option descriptions have the same format,
+but `Variable' is replaced by `User Option'.
 
 @node Version Info
 @section Version Information
-- 
1.7.11.1.29.gf71be5c