Subject: bug#11860: 24.1; Arabic - Harakat (diacritics, short vowels) don't appear

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 18:56:47 +0900

>>>>> On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 10:52:31 +0200, Steffan <[email-masked]> said:

>> Some of the examples don't look right with X11 on OS X to me, if I
>> use Arial 30pt. See the screenshot with X11 (first) and with the
>> Mac port (second, with the patch in (*)). Which font did you use
>> when you tried them on GNU/Linux?
>> 
>> (*):
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-09/msg00157.html

> There are also in linux problems with some fonts for arabic, for
> example: KacstNaskh have only one form for every arabic letter! But
> it works with the many fonts as Arial, Tholoth, DejaVu and Metal,
> which my linux machine uses by default.

Thanks.  I also tried myself with Ubuntu 12.04 by installing Arial
using the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package.  It seems to install a
different version of the Arial font (2.82) than what's bundled with OS
X 10.8 (5.01.2x).  The result is also different from what I showed
before on OS X, but still doesn't look right unlike yours (see the
attached screenshot).

I used libotf 0.9.12, m17n-db 1.6.3, and m17n-lib 1.6.3 on both
platforms.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]