Subject: bug#11850: bug#11813: bug#11850: crash (null font) running emacs built from git

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:36:31 +0800

Left Right <[email-masked]> writes:

> Using the configuration option you suggested, I was prompted for
> missing library - tifflib. I've then installed tifflib5-dev from
> Debian. The configuration was successful afterwards.
> I attach the screenshot of how the version I compiled looks.

So now it looks like the default font displays fine, but your system has
problems displaying the bold font.  That is a slightly different symptom
from what you had before.  Please show the output of C-u C-x = for the
`bold' and `mode-line-buffer-id' faces.  You can do this by typing
M-x describe-face- RET bold RET, moving the cursor to the text that says
"sample", and typing C-u C-x =.  Similarly for `mode-line-buffer-id'.
I'm only interested in the part that reports the font.  For sample, on
my machine it says

              display: by this font (glyph code)
    xft:-unknown-Droid Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x56)

One possibility is that you have installed a buggy font which does not
include bold glyphs.