Subject: bug#11849: 23.3; emacs freeze when vpn is connected

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 19:40:07 +0300

> From: "Bellmann, Andreas" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 08:46:09 +0000
> 
> I am using emacs on windows (version 23.3) and it works just fine. As
> 
> soon as I connect to my Checkpoint VPN (VPN over https using checkpoint ssl extender 7.01.0000) , emacs becomes unusable, because every
> file interaction (load, save) freezes emacs for about 1 minute. I have
> not been able to find any information in the messages of emacs on the
> cause of this problem.

First, could you please try the latest Emacs 24.1?  A precompiled
binary is available from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/.

If the problem persists in Emacs 24.1, I would suggest to look with
the Task Manager or (better) Process Explorer whether some process
uses up a lot of CPU during those freezes.  If the CPU usage is low,
then perhaps Emacs tries to access some resources via the network?
Another idea is to customize vc-handled-backends to nil and see if
that helps.  Finally, try setting w32-get-true-file-attributes to nil.