Subject: bug#11832: 24.1.50; enhancement request: line truncation not dependent on fringe

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 19:44:04 +0300

> Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 22:16:43 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 19:09:00 +0300
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > 
> > However, if someone finds a clever solution to this dilemma, patches
> > or ideas are welcome.
> 
> Actually, I might have an idea.  Not sure if it's a clever one, but I
> will try to see if it's workable when I have time.

The idea turned out to be workable, so I committed the necessary
changes in trunk revision 108938.  You should now see truncation and
continuation glyphs when the respective fringes are disabled (via
fringe-mode).  Please test.

I'm not closing the bug report, because I'm quite sure people will
find subtle bugs in this mode, especially with proportional fonts,
variable-size fonts, images, and any other feature that causes lines
to differ in pixel size.  The issue _is_ somewhat tricky; it's not an
accident that this feature was not available in Emacs since v21.1.
Subtle bugs probably still lurk.

Please report any such problems here, and please try to come up with
the simplest possible test case for each problem, preferably starting
with "emacs -Q".