Subject: Re: bug#1183: 23.0.60; ediff-buffers is broken

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:02:11 -0400

> In a discussion in Oct 2007, Stefan said that using the buffer's
> encoding is wrong, see:

>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-10/msg01381.html

> Stefan wanted to use the equivalent of emacs-mule for Emacs 23 instead
> of buffer's encoding, but do we have such an encoding now?  Is
> no-conversion-multibyte it?  Or maybe utf-8 is good enough?

As mentioned in the past, I think `no-conversion' should be killed
because it's confusing.  As for the problem at hand, utf-8-emacs-unix is
what we want to use.

> But first, we should decide whether we want such buffers to compare
> equal or not.

I believe we do, because it's called ediff-buffers.  There's ediff-files
for when you want to compare the files.

> We could also let them compare equal, but display a message to the
> effect that the buffers define different encoding for saving them to
> files.
> Opinions?

That would be fine, indeed.

        Stefan