Subject: Re: bug#1183: 23.0.60; ediff-buffers is broken

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:21:39 -0400

> Suppose we write the temp files with utf-8-emacs-unix encoding--won't
> that bite us when the output from Diff is then read with raw-text (see
> ediff-exec-process)?

Yes, tho not much worse than what we have now (where we write in
utf-8/latin-1/younameit and read it back as raw-text aka binary).
I.e. it's not a new problem.

>> > But first, we should decide whether we want such buffers to compare
>> > equal or not.
>> I believe we do, because it's called ediff-buffers.  There's ediff-files
>> for when you want to compare the files.
> Don't you think having direct file comparison yield results that are
> different from comparing buffers that visit those same files will be
> confusing?

Yes.  But I don't know of any better alternative.  Your suggestion to
emit a warning about the different encoding should hopefully make things
more clear.

        Stefan