Subject: Re: Problems building the coreutils info documentation with the development version of makeinfo

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 00:38:35 +0200

On 07/01/2012 12:29 AM, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
> 
>     coreutils.texi:2207: @itemx must follow @item
> 
> I imagine the diagnostic is correct.
>
Sorry if I hasn't been clear, but I meant the CC: to 'texinfo-devel' just
as an "FYI" to you, not a bug report (otherwise I'd have written to
bug-texinfo ;-).  I thought you might be interested in seeing how your
improved diagnostic behaves "in the wild".

> @itemx must follow @item.
> Otherwise the TeX output is wrong.  Previous makeinfo unfortunately did
> not warn about this.  The solution is to fix the manual :).
> 
>     coreutils.texi:9888: warning: Node next `chown invocation' in menu `touch invocation' and in sectioning `chgrp invocation' differ
> 
> Would have to see the source.  Looks like the menus list the nodes in a
> different order than they actually appear, and/or the master menu (can't
> remember if coreutils.texi has one) differs from the real menu.
> 
> k
> 
> P.S. I took bug-coreutils out of cc simply because I didn't want to deal
> with "opening" a bug report (doesn't it require the bug number somewhere
> to append)?
>
I don't think so; the debbugs software should be smart enough to realize that
you're answering to a massage that has already opened a bug report, and it
should thus avoid to open a new bug report.  I might be wrong on this, though,
and I don't feel inclined to experiment right now.

>  Please forward so it does the right thing, if you like.
>
Done.

Regards,
  Stefano