Subject: Re: bug#11810: 24.1.50; `vc-diff' shrinks pre-existing window

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 08:36:30 +0200

> That should work, but IMO `even-window-heights' behavior is just too
 > surprising (with its conditions on window positions), so, if you don't
 > mind, I'll open another bug with proposal to change its default value,
 > presenting the above as alternative.

OK

 >> I'm more concerned with the fact that an application might reuse the
 >> shrunk window via `display-buffer'.
 >
 > In this case, unless the new buffer is the same as the one already
 > displayed in the shrunk window, `display-buffer-record-window' will
 > overwrite the 'quit-restore parameter, so I don't see what the problem
 > scenario would be. Hadn't managed to reproduce one either.

Consider users with always <= 2 windows per frame: If `display-buffer'
displays some temporary buffer in the other, reused window, shrinking it
to some few lines, calling `switch-to-buffer-other-window' in that
situation won't be of much fun.

 >>  > If someone wants `shrink-window-if-...' to have no effect only in
 >>  > `vc-diff', well, that's a different goal.
 >>
 >> But that's probably what some people want.
 >
 > I don't think we've seen a request exactly like that yet, but that would
 > require a vc-prefixed variable.

When we get such a request you'll take care of it ;-)

 > window.el (quit-window): Always restore window height when it's saved in
 > quit-restore parameter.

Installed as revision 108897.

martin