Subject: Re: bug#11803: missing:138 has trailing whitespace

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:17:54 +0200

tags 11803 notabug
close 11803
thanks

Hi Karl.

On 06/28/2012 12:06 AM, Karl Berry wrote:
> I saw there has been some discussion on bug-gnulib about removing
> "missing" and some of the other "internal" autotools helper scripts from
> gnulib.  That makes sense, but I didn't see a final conclusion to the
> discussion?
>
Here it is:
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2012-06/msg00352.html>
So we have basically agreed that gnulib should stop syncing 'missing'
from the Automake repository; as well as other scripts that are to be
considered "implementation details" of Automake.

> Meanwhile, I have been unable to autoupdate missing from automake to
> gnulib -- maybe it's just as well -- because there is a trailing space
> on what is currently line 138, namely the "blank" line between these
> other two:
> 
>   printf '%s\n' "'$1' is $msg."
>  
>   configure_deps="'configure.ac' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac'"
>
This seem like a bug in the autoupdate process -- why fail hard just for
trailing whitespaces?  While I agree they are annoying and ugly, a simple
warning should suffice, no?

Anyway, I'll soon commit a patch to fix all the instances of trailing
whitespace in the Automake.

Thanks,
  Stefano