Subject: bug#11798: closed (Re: bug#11798: touch date bug)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11798: touch date bug

which was filed against the coreutils package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11798: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11798
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11798: touch date bug
From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
To: Patrick Castet <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:29:56 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tag 11798 notabug
thanks

On 06/27/2012 03:52 AM, Patrick Castet wrote:

> $ touch a0.a
> $ touch -d "20000102 03:04:05" a0.a

Thanks for the report.

> if you check with widows  cmd, you get 

I assume you meant Windows, not widows.

> 
> a0.a is dated with  20000102 04:04
> 
> 
> wich is not correct !

Welcome to the joys of Microsoft's decision to store file timestamps
with respect to local timezones rather than with respect to UTC, even
though that means that physically relocating your machine to a spot with
different daylight savings rules renders those timestamps ambiguous.
The difference of one hour that you are seeing is due to Windows'
insistence on applying a (possibly wrong) daylight savings adjustment,
based on the timestamp on the file vs. what Windows considers as your
current time zone.

Furthermore, since this is an issue that you noticed with the cygwin
port of coreutils, you might be better off asking on the cygwin list.
Perhaps they will agree, and consider this a bug in cygwin1.dll for
converting timestamps in the futimens() and or stat() functions into
file timestamps in a manner inconsistent with Windows daylight savings
gyrations; but more likely the cygwin folks will state that there is
nothing that can be done about the mismatch in opinions on how daylight
savings affect Window file time stamps.

At any rate, this is a Windows or cygwin issue, not an upstream one, so
I'm closing out this upstream bug as a non-issue.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org

Subject: touch date bug
From: Patrick Castet <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:52:27 +0100 (BST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[email-masked]

Hi, 

if you try this

$ touch a0.a
$ touch -d "20000102 03:04:05" a0.a
you get 
$ ls -la a0.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 dmi Aucun 0  2 janv.  2000 a0.a

AND 

if you check with widows  cmd, you get 

C:\cygwin\tmp>dir
 Le volume dans le lecteur C n'a pas de nom.
 Le numéro de série du volume est B8F8-5FC7

 Répertoire de C:\cygwin\tmp

27/06/2012  11:47    <REP>          .
27/06/2012  11:47    <REP>          ..
02/01/2000  04:04                 0 a0.a

SO

a0.a is dated with  20000102 04:04

wich is not correct !

enjoy ;-)

pc