Subject: bug#11782: 24.1; closure is not self-quoting

From: Christopher Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:38:07 +0100 (BST)

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

Thanks for your answer.

>>     (funcall (eval (eval '(let ((lex-var)) (lambda ())) t)))
>> does not work.
>
> Note that (eval (eval '(cons 1 2))) does not work either.
> So I don't consider it a bug.

That's true, of course.  Lambdas are an exception in Emacs Lisp and
CL, though.

    (info "(elisp)Lambda Expressions")

    In Emacs Lisp, such a list is valid as an expression--it evaluates
    to itself.  But its main use is not to be evaluated as an
    expression, but to be called as a function.

I stumbled upon this issue a few times already.  So did others.

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7913207/how-does-the-definition-for-apply-partially-work-in-emacs-24

IMO the info node I referenced above should mention this.

        Christopher