Subject: Gcc'ing to a large IMAP group is really slow

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:27:42 -0500

When I post to emacs.devel, I add a "Gcc: list.emacs.devel" header, to avoid
needing copies from the listserv.

However, this takes up a minute to happen (ELP results below).   Shouldn't
this just be a quick "append to the IMAP group" operation?

John

Ma Gnus v0.6
GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1138.47)
 of 2012-06-18 on vulcan.local
200 Leafnode NNTP daemon, version 2.0.0.alpha20110815a.luascript at newartisans.com 
500 Unknown command

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
gnus-agent-possibly-do-gcc              1           71.676803     71.676803
gnus-inews-do-gcc                       1           71.67679      71.67679
nnimap-request-group                    2           71.603223     35.8016115
gnus-group-mark-article-read            1           56.156583     56.156583
gnus-activate-group                     4           56.093547     14.02338675
nnimap-update-infos                     1           36.895072     36.895072
nnimap-update-info                      1           36.895021     36.895021
gnus-set-difference                     14          36.867661999  2.6334044285
nnimap-wait-for-response                8           31.690255000  3.9612818750
gnus-request-group                      1           15.513582     15.513582
nnimap-parse-flags                      2           2.784047      1.3920235
gnus-group-mail                         1           2.34449       2.34449
nnheader-accept-process-output          1099        0.8753740000  0.0007965186
nnimap-flags-to-marks                   2           0.339883      0.1699415
gnus-find-subscribed-addresses          1           0.175528      0.175528
gnus-group-find-parameter               249         0.1729570000  0.0006946064
gnus-parameter-subscribed               240         0.1714690000  0.0007144541
gnus-summary-next-page                  1           0.164215      0.164215
gnus-summary-display-article            1           0.163601      0.163601
gnus-article-prepare                    1           0.163093      0.163093
gnus-topic-prepare-topic                11          0.154144      0.0140130909
gnus-article-prepare-display            1           0.102376      0.102376
gnus-display-mime                       1           0.102364      0.102364
gnus-parameters-get-parameter           242         0.0905610000  0.0003742190
gnus-treat-article                      2           0.087063      0.0435315
gnus-group-topic-parameters             249         0.0773600000  0.0003106827
gnus-group-make-articles-read           1           0.066284      0.066284
gnus-request-set-mark                   2           0.0650149999  0.0325074999
nnimap-request-set-mark                 2           0.064913      0.0324565
nnimap-get-response                     4           0.0571130000  0.0142782500
gnus-group-list-all-groups              1           0.053921      0.053921
gnus-group-list-groups                  1           0.053908      0.053908
gnus-group-prepare-topics               1           0.053301      0.053301
nnimap-command                          3           0.0528180000  0.017606
gnus-group-insert-group-line            248         0.050972      0.0002055322
gnus-topic-hierarchical-parameters      249         0.0463239999  0.0001860401
gnus-request-article-this-buffer        1           0.044059      0.044059
gnus-topic-parent-topic                 5461        0.0438660000  8.032...e-06
gnus-run-hooks                          269         0.0375060000  0.0001394275
gnus-request-article                    1           0.036022      0.036022
nnimap-request-article                  1           0.035995      0.035995
nnimap-get-whole-article                1           0.035845      0.035845
gnus-harvest-addresses                  2           0.031013      0.0155065
gnus-harvest-sqlite-invoke              2           0.029651      0.0148255
gnus-compress-sequence                  29          0.0272129999  0.0009383793
gnus-summary-exit                       1           0.027055      0.027055
gnus-current-topics                     249         0.0259789999  0.0001043333
gnus-topic-find-topology                3373        0.0238370000  7.067...e-06
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---