Subject: bug#11774: [O] bug#11774: bug#11774: org-mode causes undo boundaries to be lost

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 18:57:25 -0400

> The first is that it hardcodes the clustering by 20.

I guess that's the problem which is not new.

> This was possible to work around before Emacs 24.  You could advise
> self-insert-command or wrap it.  This is why Org was able to control
> this with a variable to support clustering or not clustering.

IIUC Org's clustering was only introduced because self-insert-command's
clustering only worked when it was handled by the read-eval-loop, so it
was not done to "avoid" the clustering, but to make it work in more
cases.  So it might be unneeded in Emacs-24.

> What is new in Emacs is that self-insert-command now destroys
> undo-boundary.  If you wrap it, it destroys all of your effort on the
> next call to it.

I don't have it fresh in my memory but if you can post some sample code
showing what you're doing, and how self-insert-command's behavior makes
it difficult, maybe we can make it work better.

> self-insert-command.  Even just turning that magic 20 number into a
> variable would help.

Providing it as a variable would be very easy, indeed.

        Stefan