Subject: 24.1; A click changes the primary selection

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:39:34 +0200

If there is something selected in the Emacs window but is no longer
the PRIMARY selection and one clicks somewhere in the window, the
primary selection is changed to what had been selected.

To reproduce the bug:

1. Run "emacs -Q" under X.
2. Select something in the Emacs window, e.g. "This buffer".
3. Select something in some other application that supports the
   PRIMARY selection, e.g. xterm.
4. Optional: paste the PRIMARY selection somewhere (but not in the
   Emacs window opened above). As expected, one can see that the
   selection done in (3) is pasted.
5. Click somethere in the Emacs window, with the left button.
   As expected, the selection is no longer highlighted.
6. Paste the PRIMARY selection somewhere: it is the one from Emacs
   (e.g. "This buffer"), i.e. in (2), that is pasted instead of the
   most recent PRIMARY selection from (3).

This is a regression: GNU Emacs 23.4.1 from Debian doesn't have this
problem.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-06-19 on xvii
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11201902
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local/emacs-24.1' '--enable-asserts''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK
  value of $LANG: POSIX
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o r t b u <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/vinc17/share/emacs/site-lisp/mutteditor.el (source)...done
Loading time...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
~/share/emacs/site-lisp/sh-script hides /usr/local/emacs-24.1/share/emacs/24.1/lisp/progmodes/sh-script

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr warnings emacsbug message format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time cus-start cus-load paren
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)