Subject: bug#11757: Acknowledgement (24.1.50; vc-git calls `process-file' too many times)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 15:44:44 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If we assume that there are no dangerous vc commands outside Emacs, we
>> wouldn't have a problem.
>
> In this case, the behavior of the first patch I posted here should be
> acceptable, right? It's simpler, has pretty much the same effect, and
> should be a tiny bit faster.

That I don't know. Both patches do almost what we expect, and having a
cached value for `vc-registered' sounds more performant when applied
often enough.

>> Yes. I don't know, whether we will be able to handle any surprise when
>> using caches. There will always be a scenario which lets fail a given
>> algorithm. I fear.
>
> Sure, but I'm just asking for one scenario that works better with
> explicitly caching 'git-registered, instead of not calling it in
> vc-git-state'.
> If `vc-git-state' doesn't call `vc-git-registered' (just assumes it's
> t), then `vc-registered' is the latter's only client, and so its
> return value is implicitly cached in 'vc-backend property.

Maybe. Could you show a patch? (Please with ChangeLog entry, I would
commit if it looks good).

Best regards, Michael.