Subject: Re: bug#1175: 23.0.60; bookmark code regression

From: "Richard M. Stallman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 02:20:57 -0400

This is analogous to `find-file-noselect'. `bookmark-jump-noselect' is an
    obvious choice for some function to call, to obtain the bookmark buffer and
    buffer position. Without actually displaying it - perhaps because some other
    display mechanism is preferred or perhaps because some other manipulation is to
    be performed.

I agree with you.

    Emacs 23 has not even been released, so please don't speak of
    "changing" from the Emacs 23 behavior to what has always been the behavior
    before.

You are right here too.  Compatibility with past Emacs releases
is more important, generally speaking, than avoiding changes in
the sources now.  I am sure this function isn't used in very many places
in Emacs, so changing it back to be compatible won't be a lot of work.

    There is, BTW, nothing truly "internal" when it comes to Emacs,
    especially when it comes to Emacs Lisp.

That doesn't really matter.  There are functions which users should
not call, and if they do, they are out of luck when we change them.

But `bookmark-jump-noselect' should not be treated that way; it is too
natural and useful.