Subject: bug#11745: closed (Re: bug#11745: the new test-suite summary is confusing)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 22:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11745: the new test-suite summary is confusing

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11745: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11745
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11745: the new test-suite summary is confusing
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 16:48:40 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

      AM_TESTSUITE_SUMMARY_HEADER = ' for $(PACKAGE_STRING)'

I went back and forth on which quotes to use :).
Ok, accepted, pushed, thanks :). -k

Subject: the new test-suite summary is confusing
From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 18:47:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

I have a project that contains 8 different test-suites, each in its
own directory.  Some test suite are big, other are small, but they
test different parts of the project and I like being able to run "make
check" in the relevant directory.  They are run sequentially (with
SUBDIRS) when "make check" is run from the top-level.

I upgraded to Automake 1.12.1 to discover the each of these test-suite
now displays a huge summary like:

============================================================================
Testsuite summary for spot 0.9.1a
============================================================================
# TOTAL: 2
# PASS:  2
# SKIP:  0
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0
============================================================================

Instead of the older one-line summary I'm used too.

I can live with the extra verbosity, but I find the initial header
saying "Testsuite summary for spot 0.9.1a" in each of the test suites
very confusing.  The above in definitely *not* a testsuite summary for
the project, it's only a test summary for one directory.

I think the easiest fix would be to change the header to just
"Testsuite summary", without mentioning the package.

Another option could be to let the test-suite be named in Makefile.am.
Maybe introduce
    TESTS_DISPLAY_NAME = $(PACKAGE_STRING)
and use
    echo "Testsuite summary for $(TESTS_DISPLAY_NAME)"
so that people with multiple test-suites can give them different names.

-- 
Alexandre Duret-Lutz