Subject: bug#1174: 23.0.60; Some UTF-8 mails displaying wrongly in Emacs 23

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:10:56 +0100

Frank Schmitt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I have recently upgraded my Gnus installation, and it included this fix.
>> Now every e-mail I send has non-ASCII characters pre-fixed with \201.
>> So the patch installed does not seem to be the right, or there is
>> something else wrong with my configuration.  Can anyone else reproduce
>> this?  I'm including '\201å\201ä\201ö' in this e-mail for debugging.
>>
>> I'll see if I can debug this further, and find the exact part of the
>> patch that cause the problem.
>
> I see the \201 in your mail but for me everything is send and displayed
> perfectly since the patch was applied. Maybe the difference is that you
> are using Emacs 22? äöüß

I'm testing Emacs 23 now and everything works fine.  So it seems the
problem only occurs in Emacs 22.

However, it seems the problem happens on _sending_ which confuses me.
Maybe the old patch just worked around the problem, and made \201 in
incoming e-mail disappear?  However, I think I would have noticed this
before anyway, because all my posts to mailing lists and news also has
\201 before any non-ascii character now (with Emacs 22) but I don't
think that has been the case before applying this patch.

/Simon