Subject: Re: bug#1174: 23.0.60; Some UTF-8 mails displaying wrongly in Emacs 23

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:14:11 -0500

The easiest test case are utf-8 emails which are 8bit mime and which
fail to specify their charset, or specify utf-8 in some incorrect way.

The most common example may be commit messgages; the scripts usually do
not specify a charset since they commit messages and src could be in any
encoding and they send them out as is.

NB that this bug never showed up for me when using the unicode-2 branch
before that was pulled into mainline.  Some unibyte vs multibyte change
was made after that happened which started triggering the bug.

A possibly related issue is that (gnus-article-treat-dumbquotes) also
does not work for me anymore.  I do specify my own gnus-article-dumbquotes-map
in ~/.gnus, but the syntax is the same as what is still (defvar)ed in
gnus-art.el.  (I use utf-8 results rather than ascii fallbacks.)
The symptom is that the strings such as "\221" do not match the relevant
octets in the *Article* buffer, as they used to do.  This also stopped
working at the same time.

My goal would be for gnus to treat messages and mime blocks w/o a
charset as utf-8 rather than ascii by default.  That does work for qp
and base64, just not for 8bitmime.  Unless Stefan's patch is applied.
But it also must be easy to manually tell it to use some other charset
when one recognizes the need.  I can use (gnus-article-view-part-as-charset)
for a mime part (at least w/ Stefan's patch) but haven't managed to make
that work for a message w/o any attachments or inlines.

I'm running w/ Stefan's patch now and it works.  I'll try a new compile
tonight or tomorrow and test the committed code.

-JimC
-- 
James Cloos <[email-masked]>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6