Subject: Re: bug#11735: 24.1.50; "Warning: Unknown defun property ... in ..."

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:36:00 -0400

>> (Actually, you've shown only that there exists an implementation
>> (albeit a common one) that prints a warning.  That does not confirm
>> that the CL spec says that's OK.  But I claimed IANAL...)
> http://www.sbcl.org/manual/index.html#ANSI-Conformance

AFAIK, contrary to Ada, Common Lisp does not try to enforce particular
behaviors with respect to compilation warnings.

>> Perhaps this kind of message is a candidate for a :debug warning level?  I
>> already said that it is useful for programmers.  I do not see it as helpful for
>> general users just loading a library.  On the contrary: some might become
>> confused, if not downright worried.  That's all I'm trying to say.

Just to put things in perspective, this message only occurs for uses of
`declare' which use declarations not supported directly by Elisp
(that's fairly uncommon) and only for those `declare's that are inside
a `defun' rather than a `defun*' (even less common), and then only for
code that's not byte-compiled.
That's sufficiently rare that I'm not worried about it.

        Stefan