Subject: RE: bug#11735: 24.1.50; "Warning: Unknown defun property ... in ..."

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:45:26 -0700

> > Apparently you are wedded to the idea of a runtime message here.
> 
> No, 

So if you are not wedded to it, then perhaps this will be fixed?

> it's simply a macro-expansion-time message.  
> Macro-expansion either
> happens at compile-time, or if the file is not compiled it happens at
> run-time.  The macro doesn't know whether it's called during 
> compilation or at run-time.

Thanks for the implementation description.  But that does not speak to what the
message is really for and whether or how much the current implementation really
fits the message's purpose.

Do what you will with this bug report.  To my mind it is misguided to bother &
possibly confuse users with this kind of message when they just load some
library.

Without checking the Common Lisp spec (IANAL), I would guess that even Common
Lisp, which defines such optimization declarations, leaves it up to CL
implementations to ignore some of them.  But I doubt that it leaves it up to
them to raise a warning for those declarations it does not recognize.

Just a guess (haven't read CLTL in a _long_ time).  But that's typically the
approach taken for this kind of thing (optimization declarations, hints to
compilers or optimizers, etc.): Handle the unknown with silence - not with
alarm.