Subject: bug#11724: 24.1; emacs freeze (full hang, ctrl+G or kill -15 do not help) on rope lucky assist

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 03:21:06 -0400

Alex V. Koval wrote (on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 at 07:15 +0300):

> Yes, I pretty well understand that point. 
> 
> But why emacs 24 hangs completely without reacting
> to C-g and other keys? I consider *this* to be emacs bug because it
> makes it impossible for me to debug the problem on Lisp level to
> properly report it to package maintainers as you suggest. 

I don't know, but I could imagine it being unavoidable in some cases
(like the perennial hanging NFS mount scenario, although that's not
the same thing I guess). We should keep the bug-list cc'd since
someone there may have an answer...

The doc of accept-process-output does say that it does not return
until there is some output. It doesn't mention quitting being
inhibited though. By experiment, it is not:

(setq proc (start-process "sleep" nil "sleep" "60"))

(accept-process-output proc)  ; C-g works fine

So I guess you may need to figure out exactly what the relevant
process is and what it is doing.