Subject: 24.1; Error in post-command-hook: wrong-number-of-arguments - read-file-internal

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:36:45 -0700

Not in emacs -Q, and I do not know how to reproduce it.
 
I get this sometimes:
 
Error in post-command-hook (#[nil \300\301!\207 [run-hooks
icomplete-post-command-hook] 2]): (wrong-number-of-arguments (lambda
nil (let ((minibuffer-completing-file-name t))
(completion-table-in-turn (quote completion--embedded-envvar-table)
(quote completion--file-name-table)))) 3)
 
That looks like someone (Icicles? Icomplete?) put this function on
post-command-hook:
 
(lambda () (let ((minibuffer-completing-file-name t))
(completion-table-in-turn (quote completion--embedded-envvar-table)
(quote completion--file-name-table))))
 
FWIW, I'm not aware of Icicles doing anything like that - I don't see
any code that is similar.  But I cannot say that it doesn't do something
that leads to that.
 
The `let' body in that sexp is just the definition of
`read-file-name-internal':
 
(defalias 'read-file-name-internal
  (completion-table-in-turn 'completion--embedded-envvar-table
                            'completion--file-name-table)
  "Internal subroutine for `read-file-name'.  Do not call this.")
 
This is that definition (symbol-function), un-byte-compiled:
 
(closure
 ((tables completion--embedded-envvar-table completion--file-name-table)
  t)
 (string pred action)
 (completion--some
  (lambda
    (table)
    (complete-with-action action table string pred))
  tables))
 
Hoping some of this info might ring a bell for Stefan.
It means little to me.
 
(I also do not recall whether this occurred in the release itself
or in a (post|parallel-to)-release development build.  If I had to
guess I'd say it occurs in both.)
 
In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-06-10 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'