Subject: bug#1171: #1171 - ns-version-string - Emacs bug report logs

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:01:57 -0500

> Yes, it looks like this this code in emacsbug.el

> 	    (insert "Windowing system distributor `" (x-server-vendor)
>                     "', version "
> 		    (mapconcat 'number-to-string (x-server-version) ".") "\n")

> really expects x-server-version to be a number.

Actually a list of numbers.

> There are more problems with ns-version-string:
> 1) It shows the FQDN, which some users might find inappropriate.  At
>    least this is not consistent with the other flavors.
> 2) It doesn't show the host on which Emacs was built, but the host on
>    which it is currently running, e.g.
> GNU Emacs 23.0.60 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, NS gnustep-gui-0.12.0)
>  of 2008-11-12 on tzotzolana.yavor.doganov.org, modified for gNewSense
> This was built on a different host and I installed it on tzotzolana as
> a binary (*.deb) package from an APT repository.
> 3) The date is also wrong, and shows the current date, not the date
>    Emacs was built.  (The actual build date in the above example is
>    2008-10-27). I guess this is a nasty consequence of CANNOT_DUMP...

These all seem to be direct consequences of using CANNOT_DUMP and
probably do not manifest under Cocoa.  I wouldn't worry too much about
it (better fix the underlying problem and get dumping to work for
GNUstep).

        Stefan