Subject: bug#1171: #1171 - ns-version-string - Emacs bug report logs

From: Yavor Doganov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:34:07 +0200

At Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:16:05 -0400,
Stefan Monnier wrote:
> 
> >> 103.110.117.115.116.101.112.45.103.117.105.45.48.46.49.50.46.48
> > ("gnustep-gui-0.12.0"
> 
> The first line above seems to list the ascii codes of the second line.

Yes, it looks like this this code in emacsbug.el

	    (insert "Windowing system distributor `" (x-server-vendor)
                    "', version "
		    (mapconcat 'number-to-string (x-server-version) ".") "\n")

really expects x-server-version to be a number.

There are more problems with ns-version-string:

1) It shows the FQDN, which some users might find inappropriate.  At
   least this is not consistent with the other flavors.

2) It doesn't show the host on which Emacs was built, but the host on
   which it is currently running, e.g.

GNU Emacs 23.0.60 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, NS gnustep-gui-0.12.0)
 of 2008-11-12 on tzotzolana.yavor.doganov.org, modified for gNewSense

This was built on a different host and I installed it on tzotzolana as
a binary (*.deb) package from an APT repository.

3) The date is also wrong, and shows the current date, not the date
   Emacs was built.  (The actual build date in the above example is
   2008-10-27). I guess this is a nasty consequence of CANNOT_DUMP...