Subject: 24.1; Doctor fails to be specific

From: [email-masked] (Joel J. Adamson)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:23:13 -0400

When the doctor asks about a particular problem, he is no longer
specific about it, using the language of the patient:

======================================================================
I am the psychotherapist.  Please, describe your problems.  Each time
you are finished talking, type RET twice.

I have a fixed self-concept

Why do you say?

I'm great

Is it because of your plans that you say?

Yes, actually, I spend a lot of time planning and my plans never match reality

Maybe your life has something to do with this.

It is my life

What makes you believe?
======================================================================

He should be saying something like "What makes you believe it's your
life?"

Just isearching for "that you say" in doctor.el leads me to

(set (make-local-variable 'doctor--huhlst)
       '(((doc$ doctor--whysay) (doc// doctor-sent) \?)
	 (is it because of (doc$ doctor--things) that you say (doc//
       doctor-sent) \?)))

in `make-doctor-variables'.  Is `doc//' not evaluating?  Perhaps I
believe this is due to recent changes in doctor.el?  Perhaps my hangups
have something to do with this?       

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-06-11 on bitzer.hoetzel.info
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11202000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-xft'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Doctor

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  footnote-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  epa-global-mail-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
y o u SPC l a t e r <return> <return> w h a t e v e 
r , SPC d u d e <return> <return> I S-SPC s a i d SPC 
" g o o d b y e ! " <return> <return> I SPC t h i n 
k SPC y o u SPC m a y SPC h a v e SPC b e e n SPC r 
e p r o g r a m m e d , SPC d o c t o r <return> <return> 
I d i d n ' t M-D I SPC d i d n ' t SPC p l a n SPC 
o n SPC h a v i n g SPC a SPC t h e r a p y SPC s e 
s s i o n SPC t o d a y <return> <return> b y e <return> 
<return> l a t e r <return> <return> n o <return> <return> 
I SPC d o n ' t SPC w a n t SPC t o SPC t a l k SPC 
a n y m o r e <return> <return> C-x b d o c <return> 
M-< C-v C-v C-v C-s t h a t SPC o u SPC s a y M-D C-s 
t h a t SPC y o u SPC s a y C-g C-s C-s C-s <return> 
C-s t h a t SPC y o u SPC s a y <return> C-x b <return> 
C-r t h a t SPC y o u SPC s a y C-r <return> C-p C-p 
M-< C-s t h a t SPC y o u SPC s a y M-< M-x r e p o 
r t SPC e m M-D <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) [10 times]
Mark set
Error during redisplay: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil) [10 times]
Mark saved where search started
byte-code: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer doctor.el.gz>
Quit
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug eldoc jka-compr help-mode view doctor org-archive
thingatpt multi-isearch gnus-draft mule-util mailalias smtpmail ispell
gnus-cite bbdb-gui url-http url-auth url-gw gnus-gravatar gravatar
url-cache url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-util url-parse url-vars sort shr-color color shr
browse-url gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh
nndoc nnml utf-7 epa-file gnutls network-stream auth-source eieio assoc
starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc nnfolder bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf
mail-extr bbdb-com cl bbdb-autoloads nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime password-cache dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util wid-edit cal-iso tla smerge-mode newcomment
dvc-state dvc-config diff sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr tla-gnus dvc-gnus dvc-cmenu dvc-about dvc-version vc-bzr
tla-core pp tla-autoconf tla-defs dvc-log vc vc-dispatcher add-log
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff xdarcs-core xgit-core xhg-core xmtn-minimal bzr-dvc bzr
dvc-annotate dvc-diff dvc-fileinfo diff-mode bzr-revision dvc-revlist
bzr-core dvc-unified dvc-tips ffap shell footnote org-wl org-w3m org-vm
org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html
org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
auctex-autoloads tex-site info vala-mode-autoloads package
tabulated-list dvc-autoloads dvc-core dvc-lisp dvc-buffers dvc-ui
dvc-register dvc-utils dvc-emacs ewoc dvc-defs dvc-site org-clock
org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks find-func org-agenda org byte-opt warnings
bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint org-list org-faces org-compat
org-entities org-macs noutline outline easy-mmode format-spec server
appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ansi-color
xcscope ring idomenu ido auto-complete-config auto-complete edmacro
kmacro popup ibuf-ext ibuffer reftex reftex-vars dired-x easymenu dired
bbdb regexp-opt timezone uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload
manoj-dark-theme which-func imenu paren savehist avoid epa-mail
mail-utils epa derived epg epg-config time cus-start cus-load time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Joel J. Adamson
Servedio Lab
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

My Research Blog: http://lxmx.wordpress.com
Join the FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=8164