Subject: Re: bug#11697: 24.1.50; ERC scroll-to-bottom functionality 'broken' in emacs 24.1.x

From: Deniz Dogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 23:10:26 +0200

On 2012-06-14 23:03,, Antoine Levitt wrote:
> 14/06/12 22:51, Deniz Dogan
>> The excessive CPU consumption comes from the fact that it nowadays
>> uses post-command-hook, which is executed just about all the time.  :)
>
> I don't think so, I had excessive CPU consumption before the code used
> post-command-hook (main way to trigger is to hold a random key down
> while watching the result of top. It's already appalling in ERC without
> erc-scrolltobottom, but it's even worth with it).
>
> The way I see it, this scrolltobottom thing is a problem that is global
> to emacs and has nothing to do with ERC in particular. For instance, I
> also want my shell buffers not to scroll past the end of
> buffers. Actually I think (but am not sure ; it would require testing)
> I'd want all buffers to behave that way, and never, ever display
> anything past the end of the buffer. An ideal solution would be a local
> variable, that'd inhibit "bad" recentering (and therefore would not
> incur any performance loss, as I believe the main loss is when a hook
> recenters after it has already been recentered). But that's more
> ambitious.
>

I agree.  Another improvement, especially for IRC clients, would be to 
allow for buffers to start growing from the bottom of the window, much 
like Irssi and mIRC.