Subject: Re: 23.0.60; (substitute-command-keys "\\{...}") adds extra newline

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 19:32:56 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'd rather get rid of the ^L characters, though.
>> Do they have any purpose any more?
>
> No, no, no.
> Yes, of course they serve a purpose - more than one purpose.
> See `(emacs) Pages', to start with.

I know what they do, but is there any point in actually inserting
something as visually distracting as ^L into the buffer people are
looking at?

If one, for instance, just made the ^L invisible, it'd look nicer, and
there would be minimal code change.

A better solution would probably to get rid of it altogether and instead
insert a `form-feed' text property that the `C-x [' (and friends)
command would use instead.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/