Subject: [PATCH 09/14] etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL: Replace occurences of `--' with more appropriate text

From: Michael Witten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 00:08:50 -0000

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 03:47:39 +0000

Under TeX and Texinfo, `---' is actually what is meant to be an
em dash, so that would be a better choice than `--', and is thus
used to replace `--' a few times.

However, other occurrences of `--' have been replaced entirely
with other punctuation (such as `:' or `;' or `,') or verbiage in
order to make the intention clearer.
---
 etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL | 32 ++++++++++++++++----------------
 1 file changed, 16 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)

diff --git a/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL b/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
index a754b47..ba89417 100644
--- a/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
+++ b/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
@@ -204,7 +204,7 @@ For instance, C-u 8 C-f moves forward eight characters.
 
 Most commands use the numeric argument as a repeat count, but some
 commands use it in some other way.  Several commands (but none of
-those you have learned so far) use it as a flag--the presence of a
+those you have learned so far) use it as a flag---the presence of a
 prefix argument, regardless of its value, makes the command do
 something different.
 
@@ -311,7 +311,7 @@ the last character typed.
 There may also be another key on your keyboard labeled <Delete>, but
 that's not the one we refer to as <DEL>.
 
->> Do this now--type a few characters, then delete them by
+>> Do this now; type a few characters, then delete them by
    typing <DEL> a few times.  Don't worry about this file
    being changed; you will not alter the master tutorial.
    This is your personal copy of it.
@@ -344,7 +344,7 @@ Remember that most Emacs commands can be given a repeat count;
 this includes text characters.  Repeating a text character inserts
 it several times.
 
->>  Try that now -- type C-u 8 * to insert ********.
+>>  Try that now; type C-u 8 * to insert ********.
 
 You've now learned the most basic way of typing something in
 Emacs and correcting errors.  You can delete by words or lines
@@ -381,7 +381,7 @@ the text between the two positions.
 
 The difference between "killing" and "deleting" is that "killed" text
 can be reinserted (at any position), whereas "deleted" things cannot
-be reinserted in this way (you can, however, undo a deletion--see below).
+be reinserted in this way (you can, however, undo a deletion---see below).
 Reinsertion of killed text is called "yanking".  Generally, the
 commands that can remove a lot of text kill the text (they are set up so
 that you can yank the text), while the commands that remove just one
@@ -630,8 +630,8 @@ These are commands that are generally useful but are used less than the
 commands you have already learned about.  You have already seen a few
 of them: the file commands C-x C-f to Find and C-x C-s to Save, for
 example.  Another example is the command to end the Emacs
-session--this is the command C-x C-c.  (Do not worry about losing
-changes you have made; C-x C-c offers to save each changed file before
+session: C-x C-c.  (Do not worry about losing changes you have
+made; C-x C-c offers to save each changed file before
 it kills Emacs.)
 
 If you are using a graphical display, you don't need any special
@@ -640,7 +640,7 @@ with the mouse or with window manager commands.  However, if you're
 using a text terminal which can only show one application at a time,
 you need to "suspend" Emacs to move to any other application.
 
-C-z is the command to exit Emacs *temporarily*--so that you can go
+C-z is the command to exit Emacs *temporarily*, so that you can go
 back to the same Emacs session afterward.  When Emacs is running on a
 text terminal, C-z "suspends" Emacs; that is, it returns to the shell
 but does not destroy the Emacs job.  In the most common shells, you
@@ -671,7 +671,7 @@ Emacs will complete the name.  (<TAB> is the Tab key, usually found
 above the CapsLock or Shift key near the left edge of the keyboard.)
 Submit the command name with <Return>.
 
-The replace-string command requires two arguments--the string to be
+The replace-string command requires two arguments: the string to be
 replaced, and the string to replace it with.  You must end each
 argument with <Return>.
 
@@ -720,7 +720,7 @@ The mode line says something like this:
 This line gives useful information about the status of Emacs and
 the text you are editing.
 
-You already know what the filename means--it is the file you have
+You already know what the filename means: it is the file you have
 found.  NN% indicates your current position in the buffer text; it
 means that NN percent of the buffer is above the top of the screen.
 If the top of the buffer is on the screen, it will say "Top" instead
@@ -857,8 +857,8 @@ This erases the "u" from the search string, and the cursor moves back
 to the first occurrence of "c".
 
 If you are in the middle of a search and type a control or meta
-character (with a few exceptions--characters that are special in a
-search, such as C-s and C-r), the search is terminated.
+character, the search is terminated---with a few exceptions; characters
+such as C-s and C-r are special during a search.
 
 C-s starts a search that looks for any occurrence of the search string
 AFTER the current cursor position.  If you want to search for
@@ -872,7 +872,7 @@ the search is reversed.
 
 One of the nice features of Emacs is that you can display more than
 one window on the screen at the same time.  (Note that Emacs uses the
-term "frames"--described in the next section--for what some other
+term "frames"---described in the next section---for what some other
 applications call "windows".  The Emacs manual contains a Glossary of
 Emacs terms.)
 
@@ -917,8 +917,8 @@ in its own right, not a modifier key.
 >> Type C-x 1 (in the top window) to get rid of the bottom window.
 
 (If you had typed C-x 1 in the bottom window, that would get rid
-of the top one.  Think of this command as "Keep just one
-window--the window I am already in.")
+of the top one.  Think of this command as "Keep just one window,
+namely the window I am already in.")
 
 You do not have to display the same buffer in both windows.  If you
 use C-x C-f to find a file in one window, the other window does not
@@ -1011,7 +1011,7 @@ The message should be something like this:
 
 This tells you the "name of the function".  Since function names
 are chosen to indicate what the command does, they can serve as
-very brief documentation--sufficient to remind you of commands you
+very brief documentation sufficient to remind you of commands you
 have already learned.
 
 Multi-character commands such as C-x C-s and (if you have no META or
@@ -1095,7 +1095,7 @@ The manual also describes many other Emacs features.
 To exit Emacs use C-x C-c.
 
 This tutorial is meant to be understandable to all new users, so if
-you found something unclear, don't sit and blame yourself - complain!
+you found something unclear, don't sit and blame yourself---complain!

 * COPYING
-- 
1.7.10.2.484.gcd07cc5